[Sca-cooks] Forme of Cury, was Greetings

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 14 18:11:52 PST 2001

Cindy M. Renfrow wrote:

>>Sage-flavored eggs with sausage or, on ember days, with butter. You should
>>get some hits with a search engine using the more common spelling,
>>sawgeat. There appears to have been some kind of recipe/title
>>transposition error in the on-line Forme of Cury found at pbm.com .
>>

>>Adamantius
>>

> Hello!  I just checked & found no problem with the FOC site. The recipe
> starts on this page:
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/FoC113small.html
>
> and continues on this page:
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/FoC114small.html

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Constance Hieatt claims, in Curye on Inglysch, that the edition you have posted contains a transposition error. (See her glossary/index under "sawge".) She gives a fairly long explanation of why she thinks so, which I won't reproduce here, but the short version is that the actual recipe it has attached to the title "sawgeat" seems to be for sawge yfarced, while the recipe for sawge yfarced is entitled "sawgeat". The links appear fine, but the text does appear to pass along a minor error made or perpetuated by (?) Warner? Pegge? I forget who, it's been a long day and I'm spending too much of it coughing... No complaints whatsoever with the quality of the webpage qua webpage.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com