[Sca-cooks] Packing and moving Peers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 14 21:36:09 PST 2001

Caid Selene replied to me with:

> > >Do you pack them in salt for this? Or the less expensive brine or
> > >vinegar? Do you use a period storage container?
> > I have a good peer so, I'll use the more expensive salt.  Does a tarred
> > custom built wooden crate count as period?
>
> Oh, thanks, I think.  You gonna feather me as well?  Squawk!

Ummm. I don't know. Are you a Pelican or a Laurel?

> > >I almost might trade with you. I helped unload and re-organise umpteen
> > >file cabinets when they recently moved the SCA Laurel King of Arms files
> > >from Pittsburg? to Austin. I'm not a herald, but heraldic knowledge
> > >is not needed to do the brute stength stuff. :-)
> > Since I have to worry about cook books and heraldry books....
>
> Thank you, we've had the Laurel library in and out of Caid too.  Maybe it was
> lighter in Bruce's day, but still humungous.

Well, the Laurel library might have actually been larger then. Now
everything older than 1994, unless it was an active file, has been
put on CD-ROM and the originals stored (I think) in Pittsburg.

> Jared estimates we have 5,000
> books to move, I think he is guessing 'way low.

This is your personal library? This is probably bigger than mine, at
least the medieval stuff. I don't know because I've never counted, nor
put it in a database, which is one of my future projects. Then at
least if I couldn't find the book, I could at least give a bibliographic
referance for it. Right now our library is spread across five rooms,
including the kitchen. And much of it is in stacks on the floor and
elsewhere. As soon as I add shelves they get full and I'm out of
room to add any more bookcases. Okay, some folks buy drugs. I buy
books.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net