[Sca-cooks] Request for tomato recipes

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Nov 15 06:58:08 PST 2001

>I seem to recall someone on this list mentioning a recipe (or rather, a
>description, fairly detailed) for tomato use in Spain, c. 1580's, in
>Gerard's Herbal. As I recall (and do _not_ trust my memory here), they
>were just kinda mashed up and slowly melted with olive oil, salt, and
>maybe a dash of vinegar.
>

>Adamantius
>
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

Tomato - Gerard's Herball, pages 345-347.

"Poma Amoris. Apples of Loue.
...In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeeld very little nourishment
to the
bodie, and the same nought and corrupt. Likewise they doe eat the Apples
with oile, vineger and pepper mixed together for sauce to their meate, euen
as we
in these cold Countries doe Mustard."

Mala AEthiopia. Apples of AEthiopia.
...they are vsed for a sauce and seruice vnto rich mens tables to be eaten,
being first boyled in the broth of fat flesh with pepper and salt..."

Culinary Gleanings from Gerard's Herball can be found at
http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/gerardp1.html

Regards,

Cindy