[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #966 - 19 msgs

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Nov 15 10:41:14 PST 2001

>> It is? Don't they have cloven hooves, but don't chew their
>> cud, sort of like regular
>> deer, which aren't kosher? (Or so I thought. . . )
>Reindeer are in the suborder Ruminantia which customarily have split, even
>toed hooves, four chamber stomaches and chew their cud.  More specifically,
>they are Rangifer tarandus in the family Cervidae (deer).

Ah, so. Thank you. Reindeer are. Are regular, cute, outside-of-my-door-
running-scared-for-their-little-lives-because-it's-hunting-season Bambis
members of the same suborder? I could have sworn there's _some_
sort of deer, or <blank>deer, that weren't kosher; Lord knows I've
seen enough deer tracks here to know they have split hooves, but
have never seen them eat, so don't know about the, errr, rumination.

Alban