[Sca-cooks] TURKEY GRAVY

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Nov 15 14:18:29 PST 2001

Monday morning I was sitting in the dining room at James' dad's house in
Sutherlin, drinking my tea and minding my own business, with  my back to
the window, when suddenly James looked up from his toast and said
quietly "Turn around- slowly- and look out". I turned, and there was a
lovely blacktailed doe, and then another one- walking gingerly around in
the neighbor's backyard. Just a few nights back, while we were out on
one of those middle-of-the-night walks, we followed some deer that were
walking right downt he middle of a residential street- several blocks
before they got spooked and jumped into some bushes. They come down from
the hills to eat gardens and yard ornamentals. They'll strip the bark
clean off of things. James says the trouble is, like most towns, there's
a law against discharging firearms in the city limits. There is in
Eugene too, and they have a pretty serious problem with deer in the
South Hills area. Ever seen what they do to a car? Or to your pets if
they are frightened enough? Problem is, the more people move up into the
hills, the less habitat the deer have, and the more they come down to
eat our dahlias.

I feel sorry for them, but I also don't want them in the yard. And
ordinance or no, Rudolph jumps on the roof, he'll he jerky! ;-D)

'Lainie the heartless and cruel to childhood icons...