[Sca-cooks] Need Recipes for Yule Contests...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:09:20 PST 2001

>Artemesia asked for recipes:
>
>>"Best Dish Using Winter Vegetables: Those used in pre-1600 Europe, that
>>is: carrots, turnips, beets, cabbage, winter squashes, etc. NO Spuds
>>(unless you can find an authentic recipe - we know of one) and no yellow
>>cheese so Her Excellency Ælfwyn can judge. Must include ingredient list
>>and extra points for using an authentic recipe (bring a copy of it.)
>>This contest is part of Altavia's yearly A&S competition!"
>>
>>Our Baroness is a veggie-terran ::evile grin::, so I'd actually love to
>>see
>>period recipes that would cover the contests above. ;)
>
>Try our online _Miscellany_ (unless you have a paper version), which
>(among other things) has all of our worked-out recipes. There is a
>section on vegetables; some of these recipes use meat or meat broth,
>but some are vegetarian. There is also at least one recipe in the
>section on soups (Rapes in Potage, rapes meaning turnips) which can
>be vegetarian, depending on what you use for the broth.
>
>All of the period recipes I know of for beet, mostly out of _Le
>Menagier de Paris_, are for beet greens; I don't know when the large
>root vegetable version of the beet was developed.
>Elizabeth/Betty Cook

I used a beet recipe I ran across a while back.  I cann't recall the source
at this time but have it at home. Anyway, it was for pickled beets.  The
best I ever made.  It called for cutting the beets into strips or chunks
boiling in vinegar and wine and a little water IIRC adding caraway,
corriander seed and fresh shredded horseradish.  I shall see if I locate the
recipe and source this weekend and post it.
Olwen