[Sca-cooks] Bread question

Fri Nov 16 13:42:46 PST 2001

The simple answer is yes.  I believe you will find some of the discussions
concerning freezing bread for feasts in the Florilegium.

Bread dough at the first rise can be punched down, shaped and frozen.  I
prefer to wrap the dough in wax paper, then place the wrapped dough in a
plastic bag, one loaf to a bag.  Place it immediately in the freezer.  I
also recommend deep freezes to self defrosting freezers, if you hold the
dough for any length of time.  Automatic defrosting can produce some
"interesting" results.

Keep the dough frozen until you are ready to start the second rise.  If the
dough thaws in the bags it will stick to the wax paper and the plastic.

Remove the dough from the bags, peel off the wax paper and place it on the
baking sheet or in the baking pan.  Let it rise until doubled, which will
probably be 4 to 8 hours.  Bake normally.

I tend to double the amount of yeast when freezing dough or slowing the
second rise with refrigeration.

If you are uncertain how you wish to proceed, make two or four loaves.  Try
the refrigerator rise on half the batch, freeze the other half and have
fresh bread for a few days.  It will give you a feel for the time factors.

I have a French bakery and a German bakery available, but doing my baking
cuts 75% off the cost, although it does increase the preparation time.

Bear