[Sca-cooks] Pt. 3 - Medieval Persian Iron Chef

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 16 22:05:49 PST 2001

Semolina is a mildly coarse meal made from high gluten durum wheat, so it
should make a sourdough.  Try mixing 8 ounces of semolina with 8 ounces of
water and let it stand for two or three days.

If you don't want to mess with a real starter, dissolve a teaspoon of dry
active yeast and a pinch of sugar in a cup of water and let it stand until
it foams.  Then add a couple of cups of semolina.  Cover the bowl and let it
stand for 4 to 24 hours (I prefer at least 8).  Use the resulting sponge
like you would a sourdough starter.

Bear