[Sca-cooks] Re:mince meat

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 05:46:54 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/16/2001 5:54:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> > I need a good old fashioned real mincemeat pie recipe,
> > Morvran

this is a time intensive recipe -- but not really that much work.

Take 2 - 4 pounds of beef shank stakes, wash, cover with water in an oven
prove covered pan and cook at F 300 for 3 hours.

Spoon meat from pan and shed, pop the marrow from the bones and add to meat.
Dispose of bones, grisly and connective tissue.  Set broth aside for future
use.

Return meat to pot and add:

4 grated apples
2 grated pears
citron
golden raisons
dark raisons
currents
any dried fruit that caught your eye when you went to the store for the meat
(I've added dried cherries to my last two batches)
1/2 pound brown sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg
cloves
enough apple cider so you can just see it

Cook over low heat until the pot is almost dry, stirring occasionally. The
sound of the boiling will tell you when it's done.  this takes about 4 hours.

I freeze it, having no experience with canning.  I suppose you could can it
and it would be easily done if you know how.

Margherita the Weaver