[Sca-cooks] Ambrette/Muskdan was Iron Chef Medieval Persian...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Nov 17 05:49:50 PST 2001

I did a quick browse this am and turned up this
paper.

It seems to indicate that Sri Lankan markets
might be a source for our old friends Long Pepper
Galanga, and HIBISCUS ABELMOSCHUS.

ISHS Acta Horticulturae 501: II WOCMAP
Congress Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Part 2:
Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology, Phytomedicine, Toxicology
THE VOLATILE CONSTITUENTS AND MICROBIOLOGICAL
STUDIES ON KAEMPHERIA GALANGA, HIBISCUS ABELMOSCHUS,
AND PIPER LONGUM
Abstract:
Hibiscus abelmoschus, Kaempheria galanga and
 Piper longum are three medicinal
plants commonly used in the Ayurvedic medicines
 in Sri Lanka.

Full text is at:
http://www.actahort.org/books/501/501_47.htm

Also Purdue University has this up:

Muskdana or Ambrette (Abelmoschus moschatus):
Aromatic and Medicinal

Complete with additional sources for further study.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/muskdana.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

> Christina L. Biles <bilescl at okstate.edu> wrote:
> >  There is an herb - musk seed, musk mallow, Egyptian alcee, target-leaved
> >  hibiscus, Ambrette Seed, Hibiscus abelmoschus - which is used as a musk
> >  substitute.  Specifically, an oil prepared from the seeds is used.
> >  So, you might try looking for ambrette oil. -Magdalena
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> I don't think ambrette oil would be edible, at least i'd be hesitant
> to try it, since one never know what additives are in products that
> aren't specifically for food, snipped---
 Maybe my local herb store, Lhasa Karnak, has abelmoschus...