[Sca-cooks] Cabbage Question

marcellina_dangelis at web.de marcellina_dangelis at web.de
Sun Nov 18 02:52:08 PST 2001

There is another recipe for white cabbage, called "Bayerisches Kraut":
Cut it as you woult make it for Sauerkraut. Than put it in a big pot and cook it with sour apple cider (or, half and half with fresh, unsweetened applejuice and white wine vingegar), big peaces of bacon and a few laurel-berrys. Spice it with salt and black pepper as you wish.
This tastes wounderful with potatoes and only the cooked bacon or with every kind of roasted pork. It's not sour but very mild and tastes better warmed up the second time.

Marcellina
Bavaria, Germany :-)

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org schrieb am 11.11.01:
>A different process. Sauerkraut is salted and/or compressed to form a
>liquid conducive to lactic fermentation. Lactobacilli build up in the
>liquid and in the kraut itself, and produce lactic acid, whose pH is what
>actually does the preserving. More or less. Red cabbage is traditionally
>pickled in vinegar, most of the time.

My father does both sourkraut and the red cabbage thingey.  kraut takes a
good while longer, and STINKS.  But man, is it good...  The red thing cooks
in a few hours, doesn't stink too bad, and is just about as good :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout