[Sca-cooks] Pt. 1 - Medieval Persian Iron Chef

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:51:25 PST 2001

>>I have one question, though, for the phyllo-marzipan confection, you
>>said you used purchased marzipan...where >did you get it from?  Is
>>there a particular brand you recommend?
>
>As for the marzipan, well, i am a complete novice. Since i noticed
>that Olwen the Odd of this list uses purchased marzipan for her
>wonderful surprises, i decided it would be easier than trying to make
>my own (especially since i am currently without a kitchen or kitchen
>equipment).
>
>So i called a local gourmet bakery and asked if they knew where i
>could get some. They suggest i order it from a truly marvelous local
>market, The Berkeley Bowl (used to be in a former bowling alley). I
>got whatever they ordered for me. It was really clean stuff, just
>almonds, sugar, and bitter almonds, and i think a touch of citric
>acid, although i don't recall the name - i don't even think there is
>one on the bucket.
>
>Heck, i've got about 5 pounds left (came in a 10-1/2 lb bucket)...
>
>My personal take, since i don't like things really sweet, is when i
>use commercial marzipan again, i will add some finely ground almonds
>to cut the sweetness.
>
>And your roommate's amazing blender just might get the almonds ground
>finely enough...
>
>Anahita

Hmm.  You bought already mixed marzipan?  I buy ground almond paste and mix
my own marzipan by adding the sugar and rosewater.  When I initially mix it
up I only mix the paste and the sugar and add rosewater on an as need basis
to the amount that I am working with.  It gives me longer "keeping" power
for the marzipan and more control over the stiffness of the marzipan for
different projects.  How much did you pay for the stuff?
Olwen the curious.