[Sca-cooks] RE: Elephants and ambergris

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Mon Nov 19 13:49:58 PST 2001

Ok, my bad.  This is what I get for watching TV about 1 hour a year
(usually at my in-laws on holidays) - I only half remember the nature
shows from years ago ;)  I recall the images of the huge warehouses full
of tusks, and thought I recalled that they were shed;  I associated the
hair thing from rhinos with elephants.  I must admit, I don't get why a
poacher would kill an elephant and leave the tusks behind to be
collected by rangers, if they're so valuable.  That is why it didn't
occur to me before that I was misremembering.

So, the elephant/ambergris association is a little weaker than I
thought.  Oh, well...

-Magdalena
penitant Environmental Science major...  I focused on ecology and
engineering, not animal science!