[Sca-cooks] Ivory

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Nov 19 20:55:26 PST 2001

Was written:

> > They still allow possession of fossil ivory or ivory obtained when
> > the animal is killed by legal means (ie: "native" hunters even if
> > done with firearms).

Snip>

> Fossilized ivory is in a different category because it can identified as
> being fossilized.  However, if you show up with a fair amount, the Feds
may
> want to know where you found it.  Something about unlawfully removing
> artifacts from federal land.

The fossil ivory that I have seen that can or has been worked has come out
of the Arctic, Alaska and Siberia.  Oddly enough I've seen some from Florida
but it was rather chalky.  I suspect the cold of permfrost may have
something to do with preservation.  Be that as it may the prettiest piece
I've seem was Alaska and a pale blue from cobalt in the soil.  Did see a
fossil ivory hilt on period "ox tongue" dagger in an ivory exhibit in
Houston once but I don't know it provenance.  My understanding is that
Arctic fossil ivory is gleaned by indigenous peoples and was formerly used
to make objects for their use.  Now it is apparently collected and sold
either as specimens or as worked pieces.

If you are looking for antique ivory, the scales off old piano keys, and
I've been told very old cue balls are good sources.  I've had occasional
good luck in thrift stores finding antique necklaces of ivory beads for some
of the rosaries I've made.  Generally such is taken for plastic or bone and
sold rather cheaply.

Daniel Raoul