[Sca-cooks] suspenders

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 20 03:48:58 PST 2001

Keep in mind, the dictionary is discussing the history of the word, not
necessarily the history of the object.

German lederhosen, which are medieval dress, have button on leather straps
that serve as suspenders.  The question is not "are the period," but "what
were they called and what was their construction."

BTW, try the term "galluses."

Bear

>Main Entry: sus·pend·er
>Pronunciation: s&-'spen-d&r
>Function: noun
>Date: 1524
>1 : one that suspends
>2 : a device by which something may be suspended: as a : one of two
>supporting bands worn across the shoulders to support trousers, skirt, or
>belt ‹ usually used in plural and often with pair b : British : a fastener
>attached to a garment or garter to hold up a stocking or sock; also : a
>device consisting of garter and fastener
>- sus·pend·ered /-d&rd/ adjective
>
>Would this do.

I doubt it; the suspenders-for-pants is an American (and therefore
post-period) thing. The British suspenders are, indeed, stocking
garters. . . and damned if I can remember the joke about an
American using the term and being misunderstood by some
British folk.

<sigh>

Alban