[Sca-cooks] Leftovers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 20 19:49:49 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> --
> recipe pretty please!
> Phillipa
>

>>jook (Chinese rice porridge)

Here's one I just pulled off the Web at random...

> Jook
> This recipe was posted by Nate on the Aloha.com site. Nate writes that he learned this recipe from his mother, who used to make it with the head or feet of a roast pig. In addition to turkey bones, he has made it with sliced beef, sliced pork, and spareribs.
>
> Ingredients
> Turkey bones
> 1/2 cup rice, uncooked, washed
> 6 cups water
> 1 teaspoon rock salt (or to your taste)
> 1/2 cup raw peanuts
>
> Garnish:
> Chopped lettuce
> Chung choi, chopped fine*
>
> Garnishes**
> Chinese parsley, chopped
> Green onions, chopped
> Shoyu or oyster sauce
> Sesame oil
>
> Directions:
> Put the bones, water, and rice into a slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4 - 6 hours. When it is nearly ready, place each of the garnishes in individual small bowls.
> When the jook is ready, stir and place in bowls. Place the garnish on the tables and let everyone garnish to their own taste.
>
> *Chung choi is Chinese salted preserved cabbage. Dice it and sprinkle on the jook.
> **Other ingredients you might want to use as a garnish include Chinese pickled vegetables, sliced salted duck eggs, and chopped daikon.

What we usually make at home is pei dan jook, enriched/garnished with chopped "thousand-year-old" eggs and seasoned, ground pork, stirred into the simmering porridge at the last minute until the pork is done. In restaurants my wife favors a mixed garnish of sliced pork, fried peanuts, chopped beef tripe and plate (similar to brisket, and, in combination with the tripe, is known in chinese restaurants as nom or belly), and shredded, dried squid, reconstituted and simmered until tender in with the jook. Or, you can just make it with turkey or chicken bones, or simply stock instead of water. In its simplest form, absolutely plain jook with rice and water can be jazzed up pretty spectacularly at the table, with a few drops of sesame oil, a little soy sauce (light, as opposed to dark, but not "lite"), and perhaps chopped scallion or cilantro, which is also known as Chinese parsley. There's also a fried cruller type of thing which can be chunked up and added as a garnish, in the sa
me way you might put those little crackers into soup.

As I recall, we normally make it with chicken stock, using about half a
cup of washed rice with 2 to 2.5 quarts of liquid, simmering it very
slowly (in a saucepan, we don' need no steenkin' slow cooker), for 2 1/2
to 3 hours, or until the rice has nearly dissolved into a thick, starchy
solution.

But turkey bones and water are a perfectly viable method, and if there's
meat on the bones, so much the better.

As a rule, the Chinese don't seem to eat a whole lot of turkey, but this
dish seems to be an exception, possibly a nod to Western realities of
leftover turkey.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy