[Sca-cooks] Order of serving food

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 22 06:34:15 PST 2001

On 22 Nov 2001, at 7:16, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> I think it'd be completely nifty, and very appropriate.  I haven't
> tried it myself, but I'd like to, someday.....Where do you _find_
> things like orders of service? --Maire

Cookbooks, menus of actual meals, serving and carving manuals,
health manuals...

The sequence of main dishes seems to be somewhat variable.
Nola talks about his prefered sequences of roasts, stews,
pottages, etc., but then goes on to say, 'but some people do it this
way instead'.  But I have several sources that say for
Spain/Catalunya/Italy, meals should start with fruits and sweets to
'open' the stomach, and end with cheese to 'close' the stomach.

And I have observed that many lovely desserts go untouched at the
end of a meal, because the feasters are so full.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net