[Sca-cooks] One for the pros

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:17:41 PST 2001

>The pork poses no problems for me; just stick them in an oven at about 300
>degrees and let them roast all day.  The beef, however, is giving me pause.
>I can't seem to find instructions on how to roast a whole steamboat round
>on
>the Internet.  High or low temperature? Should I bother larding the roast,
>or is there enough fat in this cut that I shouldn't worry?  How do I take
>the internal temperature if my thermometer won't reach down into the middle
>of the roast?  How much shrinkage/loss can I expect from cooking?
>
>Should I just go with some smaller top rounds? :-)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Vicente

The cut is a good or "prime" grade and can either be cooked dry or in a
moist heat.  Personally I use a moist heat by setting a pan of water in the
oven with it (usually under it).  You should not have to lard it but place
the fat side up and if possible turn the thing over for the last 20 minutes
or so to brown the "good" side.  If for some reason they cleve all the fat
off ask them for a slab of beef suet to place on top and hold it in place
with toothpicks, then remove for the last bit of browning.

Let the roast reach room temperature before beginning to cook.  Preheat your
oven at around 500 degrees and drop back down to 350 degrees when you put
the meat in (I usually put the meat in at the high temp for about ten
minutes then drop the temp.)  Beef needs to be cooked for about 18 to 20
minutes a pound so if you have an accurate weight before cooking that is a
good place to start.  If you do any trimming, weigh out the trimmings and
re-guage your math.  If you don't want a crusty outside you can place a tin
foil or paper 'tent' over it for most of the cook time.

To check the doneness you can do two things.  First, do the math as stated
above and set a timer.  That will get you in the right ballpark.  Secondly
you can do the touch method.  If you poke it with your finger and it dents
in easily and quickly resumes its shape then it is cooked to medium rare.
If you poke it and it stays firm it is cooked to well done.  You could opt
to stick a skewer into it to check the juices (blood=undercooked; red
juice=rare; red and clear juice=medium; clear juice=well done) but then you
are just letting all the good juices out.

Good luck.
Olwen