[Sca-cooks] Re: one for the pros

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:36:33 PST 2001

>Also depends on the cut, and type of meat.  A usual amount of shrinkage
>would be 15% to 20%.

Aha.  Relatively slow roast, think about 350 degrees. This is a boneless
steamship round, a good 50 pounds of prime beef (Pending exchequer approval,
of course.  Otherwise they get top round.).

>1/4 pound meat per person is about right for that kind of serving.  I tend
>to count an extra 10% of food than necessary, like an extra 18 people, so
>you'd be feeding about 193 people.  This would mean about 48 pounds of
>cooked meat.  Add about 10 pounds of meat to shrinkage, you'd need a 60
>pound roast.  Then, if you have a bone in, you may get about 25-30%, which
>means say a 75 pound roast.  Give or take.  Better to have left overs than
>not enough food, but you have to make sure you don't over do it lest you
>really go broke.
Actually, I'm looking at 150 people plus head table, so that puts my count
at about 175 or so.  There's also pork on the menu, so all the carnivores
will be happy.  We should do just fine.  This means I'll be able to feed the
serving crew as well!

Thanks, Olwen and Muirdeach!

Vicente
It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange.
-Takeshi Kaga