[Sca-cooks] Food Fight!!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 27 23:55:31 PST 2001

Mistress Huette Aliza von und zu =C4hrens und protested:
> Pullease!!!!  Let's not!  Yes, this is yet another
> period reference to a food fight.  There are others.
>
> As I remember my first introduction to the SCA, some
> 27 years ago, the SCA "recreated the Middle Ages as it
> should have been", i.e. without the Plagues, the dirt,
> the fleas and the slavery.  Let us keep to this ideal
> and abjure food fights also.

Okay. I find food fights during a feast to be disgusting and
often disrespectful of the cooks and the seamstresses and
many others. I'm not sure that an organised food fight couldn't be
done elsewhere with ammo that was specifically provided for this,
that would avoid most of these other concerns.

However, nothing says that we can't or shouldn't study these period
food fights like any other aspect of the Middle Ages. I don't wish
to authentically reproduce the plague or re-create the strict
hierarchical social structure of the Middle Ages, but I do study
those aspects of the Middle Ages. Please give us any other period
referances to food fights that you might have.

Thanks,
  Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net