[Sca-cooks] salt cod and freezer burn

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Nov 28 07:46:43 PST 2001

>Oh, and Alban--you can have humidity below freezing, up until it's too
>cold to snow.
I know: I should have said freezers are cold, and drier, not cold and dry.

>It can also be too cold for salt to work, and so cold that
>the car exhaust freezes on the roads and creates black ice.
Yup. Salt lowers the freezing temperature, but only by so much.
(And I thought black ice was simply ice/snow/slush/sleet that had melted
slightly, and then refrozen clear, sort of like perfect ice cubes. If it's really
clear, it's transparent, and you can't see it, and the road shows through.
I didn't think black ice was black, just transparent enough to let the
asphalt show through. Hmmm.)

>In Minnesota,
>during the winter, you can use your porch as an auxiliary freezer. I have
>bought ice cream on the way to work and left it in the back of the truck
>all day and it was frozen harder than when it was in the freezer at the
>store. -30F will do that to you. ;-)
Heck, my aunt in Manhattan has been known to do that - of course, she
lives on the twelfth floor and has a convenient balcony on the north side
of the building. . .
(Me? I'm not worried about power failures. Frozen food gets put on the lawn;
food that merely needs to be kept cool gets put close to the kitchen door. But then,
I live on a farm.)

Alban