Verifying eggs (Was: [Sca-cooks] Food Fight!!)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Nov 28 10:10:46 PST 2001

Corwyn commented:
> I don't even want to think about verifying whether eggs have been boiled or
> not. Who would handle that? The Marshals? Is there some kind of test, like
> spin them or something?

Actually there is an easy way to verify whether an egg is hard boiled
or not. Spin it.

Because of internal resistance (the yolk will spin at a slower
speed than the shell or the white portion), the raw egg will not
spin as long as the hardboiled one. However, the differance in
spin time may not be enough to differentiate between a hard and
a soft boiled egg. Plus spinning each one of some one or two
thousand eggs would probably take too long.

Stefan
(full of esoteric details - they just don't include movies or
songs)