Ceramic blades (Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Kitchen tools question (mandolin))

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Nov 28 13:16:42 PST 2001

>Anyway, has anyone tried any of these knives with ceramic blades.
>How well did they work for you? The idea of never having to sharpen
>them is intriguing, although they are fairly expensive and I imagine
>the selection of blade and handle styles is limited. You better not
>have to sharpen them since they are supposedly only second to
>diamond in hardness. You might not be able to sharpen them except
>with one of the sharpening sticks that uses embedded diamond chips.

I've test driven some of these knives.  I personaly don't like them.  I
know some folks that swear by them (Ming T'sai from FoodTV uses them).

As an advantage, they are very light and it's good for some folks.  Me, I
find the balance all off.  I like (and am used to) a good steel blade.

They do tend to be more expensive.

I do not feel they are as sharp as a good steel blade properly
sharpened.  But then, I'm picky about my blades.

Just my 2 cents.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom