[Sca-cooks] Re: Research cooking vessels

ekoogler at chesapeake.net ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Nov 29 09:45:51 PST 2001

> I have links to a few great chinese bronze places...here is one that is
> early...before our period (I can't remember now what the site said), but
> they did use them during period (things in China, Korea and Japan, in
> cooking vessels/knifes/feast gear didn't change all that much even to this
> day, as far as my research as proven).

Yes, the Shang dynasty was definitely before out period.  I don't remember the
exact dates, but I'm thinking something like around 1500 B.C. or so.  It was
followed by both the Chou and early Han dynasties before it got in the A.D.
period.  The bronze vessels were used primarily as ceremonial vessels...they
were used as containers for grains and wine, then the three-legged vessels,
like the dings, were used to heat the mixture over a brazier, also made of
bronze.  The Freer Gallery in D. C. has a marvelous collection of these. There
were pottery vessels, I believe, that were used for regular cooking, but I'm
not sure...about their usage, that is.  I know that they did exist,
particularlyin the Shang and early Chou dynasties.

Kiri

This email message was sent using web-based email services provided by Chesapeake.Net
Internet Services.
http://www.chesapeake.net/