[Sca-cooks] period sparkling cider

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 29 23:18:33 PST 2001

Daniel Raoul replied to my comment with:
> > A period sparkling non-alcoholic apple beverage? Highly unlikely.
> >
> > How would they get the bubbles without the fermentation?
>
> Naturally carbonated springs are not an unknown phenomenon.

Ooooh. Yes, an interesting possiblity which I've never seen
mentioned before. But how common would these have been? And how
many would have actually tasted good? Some I've tasted taste
awlful and the taste would not have been covered by even apple
juice.

Is that the type of place where Perrier(sp?) water is supposed to
come from? Anyone know how old that source might be?

Even if drunk, either straight or added to wine or something else,
would this have only been a local beverage? Could they have kept
the fizz while transporting it any distance? Would they have bothered?

If carbonated springs were used, even just locally, they should show
up in some medieval writings, somewhere.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net