[Sca-cooks] parkin and lambs in apples

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 3 00:24:26 PDT 2001

The recipe is in ounces as cups to me are still things you put tea into.
9 oz  plain whole-wheat or white flour ( I use half and half.)
7 oz brown sugar   molasses sugar if you can get it.
3 1/2 oz porridge oats
2-4 heaped teaspoons ground ginger....I add loads.
3 oz margarine or butter
2 oz lard
7 oz golden syrup
3 oz black treacle
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 dessert spoon white vinegar
5 fluid oz milk.

PARKIN
mix dry ingredients except bicarb..keep this for later
put treacle fats and golden syrup into a pan and heat gently until butter
and lard are melted
add to dry ingredients.
add milk to pan and heat for 1 min and use to wash sides of pan to get all
the good bits. add to mix.
put bicarb in a heap on top.
add vinegar and mix
pour into prepared (greased and floured) roasting pan. It is a batter
bake in the middle of a moderate oven(335 f  170c) for 1 hour open door
after 20 mins and give tin a knock you WANT it to sink
allow to cool in tin.
cut into square
best after 3 days..I'm lucky if it lasts 1!!!
keeps very well in an airtight tin.

LAMBS IN APPLES
3 pintsCider( the stuff with alcohol in it)
cinnamon
ginger
cloves all spice
3 pintsapple juice
a good full glass brandy or apple jack
appples
Put liquid ingriediets into a pan and heat gently with the spices.
Core the apples cut skin around the middle to prevent splitting
bake..do not add any stuffing.
when cooked place into a large bowl and pour over hot punch. The bits of
apple float up and around and look like lambs in a field. Hence the name.
Have fun.
Vara

pu