[Sca-cooks] A question of resources

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 4 10:14:45 PDT 2001

>I've been mostly lurking for about 2 years and submitting the
>occasional squeak when I think I might know the answer.  I've been
>slowly learning about the existence of often-referred-to manuscripts &
>the cultures/times they are from, but while I have found some great
>resources on the web I have yet to find a "definitive" list of the
>Great Primary Sources and the best tranlations of them.
>
>For late period English I know of:
>--Good Hous-wives Treasurie
>--Form of Cury/Cury on Inglishe (I'm still fuzzy on the relationship
>of these two -- one is part of the other?)
>--Liber Cure Cocorum
>
>French:
>--Menagier de Paris

And Le Viander de Taillevent. There is a published translation by
Scully.  Du Fait de Cuisine is 15th c. French, and on my web page.

>My Main Question (finally!, says they):
>
>What are the best, most widely-accepted, widely-used,
>can't-live-without-em translations of the above manuscripts?

The old commercially published translation of Le Menagier is
unreliable--it leaves chunks out without saying it is doing so. But
Janet Hinson's translation is on my web page.

Someone has already answered for Platina, and the English sources are
written in English.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/