[Sca-cooks] Hungry

Marian Rosenberg marian.rosenberg at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 10:23:34 PDT 2001

Helllp!

  Just over a week ago our stove decided to catch fire.  We aren't sure
exactly what happened, or even if the stove had been turned on at the
time.  The heating element was on, but the dial did not appear to say
that it was on.  And through the smoke of burning electric bits it was
hard to tell if the light that said a burner is on was on.  Brick
kitchens and a habit of not leaving anything flammable too near the
stove are a good thing.  Also a good thing we all were home.  Whirlpool
is going to replace the stove.

  Since this incident we've been using our combination
convection/microwave oven.  Frankly, I'm sick and tired of half cooked,
over cooked, and partially cooked food.  Does anyone have any tips for
making Real Food (tm) in a convection oven or microwave?  For some
reason the convection oven likes to toast the top of food and leave the
bottom end undercooked.  Recipes would also be appreciated.

  Also, does anyone have any suggestions for features to look for in a
new stove?

  Alas, gas is out of the question, as our kitchen is 3/4s underground
with inadequate ventilation.

-M