[Sca-cooks] Yule Revel ideas?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Oct 18 14:00:57 PDT 2001

Orlaith said:
> How did that turn out?  I was disappointed that I
> didn't get to stay for any.  What's worse, by going to
> the Barony meeting, I ended up as the autocrat for
> Yule Revel.  Any of you guys have December 29th free?

Well, probably. But I'm pretty far off from you. :-)

However, likewise, somehow I am in charge of my barony's
Yule Revel this year. Ours is on December 8.

As usual, this will be a pot luck with the barony providing
some roast meats and some beverages such as spiced cider,
wassail or something else I can come up with.

I will be handling the pot luck differently this year using
something I got off this list or the Rialto years ago. I'm tired
of the single line where the first third in line get an excellant
selection of lots of food, the middle third get a reasonable
amount of most of the food and the last third get mostly what
others didn't want. The solution I'm going to try is detailed
in this file in the FEASTS section:
pot-luck-fsts-msg (16K)  6/25/01    Handling 'pot luck' feasts in the
SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/pot-luck-fsts-msg.html

Basically the foods are scattered around the room on each of
the tables and folks start at their table rather than in a long line.

I am also trying to encourage folks to bring period foods. I'm
encouraging folks to bring various sauces for the roast meats
since many are easy to make. I will have articles in the local
newsletter with some sauce recipes and will handout some flyers
on others at fighter practice as well as some simple period food
recipes. I will also be pursuading some of the experienced cooks
to bring a sauce as a backup.

I think we will have a prize for the best period pot luck item
and maybe another for the best sauce.

I have looked at the Yule-msg file in that talkative guy's
Flori-thingy, but am always interested in what other things, both
food and non-food are done at other Yule Revels. Feel free to
contact me off list if it isn't within the subjects of this list.

We will have an adult gift exchange and one for the children.
The adult one has been done as a "pirate" one for the last several
years and that has gone over well.

I hope to bring back various active games. Blind-man's bluff etc.

At this event, the Baron and Baroness also accept tithes for the
lands held. There is a large map of the local area, with only
natural, no mundane, landmarks drawn in. AoAs get x amount of land,
Grants a bit more, Peerages more, Nobility a lot more etc. The
land is paid for with largess, which is then distributed later
to the various guilds and the Baronial Guard and as thank yous
by the B&B. You 'pay' for the land you hold, which you chose
previously and pay a bit more and select some more (unclaimed)
land if you've gotten a another award in the past year.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net