[Sca-cooks] Favorite fruitcakes

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Fri Oct 19 06:42:52 PDT 2001

I have to join this thread.  There is absolutely no similarity between the British fruit cake and the American one.  My mother makes her xmas fruit cakes in October every year.  Raisins, golden raisins, currants are soaked in brandy and mixed into a simple cake batter with slivered almonds, mixed citrus peel (candied) and glace cherries, along with some very familiar spices (at least to those who do medieval cooking): cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice.  It is baked relatively slowly (140 C as opposed to 180 C for most cakes).  It is then judiciously fed brandy for the next three months.  Finally just before xmas it is covered with marzipan and fondant icing (royal icing cracks when you try to slice it).  I have brought a cake back to America every time I go home to England and every American I have fed it to has said "This isn't fruitcake, it's really good."  Having tasted an American "Fruit cake" I understand their point of view.  They do keep forever as long as not iced, kept well wrapped and fed brandy on a regular basis.  For a birthday once (in April) I got the cake from the previous xmas (nearly 7 months old), it was wonderful.
I am soo happy I'm going home for xmas this year.  I already put in the order for a cake to bring back.
I have the recipe at home (currently at work) if anyone is interested.
Helewyse de Birkestad.