[Sca-cooks] Petroleum Stoves

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sun Oct 21 12:17:50 PDT 2001

A question that I oprobably should have asked
earlier, but

I just bought a petroleum stove. It's white and
green and called 'Diamond Brand' (I think it's
from India or Bangladesh, but could also be
Chinese), made of tin, with a ring of 16 wicks
providing the heat. The thing is very light, big
enough for a family-sized Wok and able to hold
maybe a liter of petroleum. Given that it
collapses into a fairly small pack, doesn't have
any pressure-bearing components, uses no cryogenic
fuels and is so simple, mechanically, that I
actually understand how it works I thought it
would be great to take to Events. However, I have
zero experience with petroleum cookers. Does
anyone here? Are they safe to use, within
reasonable limits? Is there anything I really want
to avoid?

Giano