[SCA-cooks] Italian Renn. Food

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 03:42:49 PDT 2001

	Greetings,
	  I'm looking for references for late period Italian food, Venetian
	particularly, but any Italian will do.  I have already got Platina,
"On
	Right Pleasure and Good Health"  Does anyone know of any other
references in
	English?
	Luciano Foscari

Saluti Luciano!

As Vittoria mentioned, there is Scappi's "Opera" but I don't believe there
is an English translation - Thomas would know for sure. (Thomas?)

One point, Platina is based very heavily on MM, who is a Neapolitan (sp)
isn't he? Southern Italian rather than Northern? (my memory is totally shot
today so I could be totally off base here...) If so, is there any
distinctive difference between the two regional cuisines?

There are recipes from "Libro di cucina del secolo XI" a Venetian cookbook,
in "The Medieval Kitchen", both in original, translation and redaction form.
I believe there is another cookbook from the Veneto mentioned, but I'm at
work and as aforementioned, working from a rather wobbly memory, sorry.

I have however made several dishes from the Venetian cookbook and they are
delicious, especially the Hungarian tart.

I also have all the food quotes from the Penguin book of Aretino's letters
written down, plus an inventory of all food stuffs listed in his letters
(Aretino, Venetian poet/writer, first half of the C.16th - sorry if I'm
teaching you to suck eggs). If you wish, I will send them to you.

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at yahoo.com  | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.