[Sca-cooks] Egg-Nog

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Oct 22 18:55:36 PDT 2001

Was asked:

    A queston for the list,we are heading quickly into the holidays
      and I was wondering about the history of the ever popular
    Egg-Nog.
      Did it start life as Syllabube?
      Is it a victorian creation?
    What are some of the tasty variations you are familiar with?

My best bet is posset.  There are several possets in Martha Washington's,
I've misplaced my copy but I've done one of the sack possets several times
to good effect.  The original recipe calls for 14 egg yokes ,7 egg whites, a
pint of heavy cream, a half a pound of sugar, a cup of sherry, half a nutmeg
and a bit of ambergris (essence of whale?).

I'm back from vacation, visited both the N.C. coast, best man-ed at my
brother's wedding, and the mountains.  The fall color in the mountains as
seen from the Blue Ridge was quite beautiful.   If you get to Sylva check
out "The City Lights" book store and the bistro down stairs.

Daniel Raoul