[Sca-cooks] Forme of Cury: pears in comfit??, etc.

RenfrowCM at aol.com RenfrowCM at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 13:14:06 PDT 2001

Hi Olwen & everybody else!

I've been quiet of late because I've been busy repairing the damage done to
my house by my tenant while I was away.  Because of this, and other mundane
matters, I'm having a great deal of difficulty concentrating on culinary
history. This is unfortunate because I still have to prepare 2 presentations
for the conference in Colorado.  :-0

To Alys Katherine -- congratulations!
Will you be coming to the conference? The website lists you for a talk on
Renaissance Food Coloring, but I thought I signed up to do that topic. Is
this a typo, or are we both doing the same topic?

Regarding 'powder of galentyn', the recipe for pears in confyt in Forme of
Cury reads (roughly):
xx.vI. xII.
Take pears and pare them clean. take good red wine & mulberries or sanders
and seethe the pears therein & when they are sodden, take them up, make a
syrup of greek wine, or vernaccia with white powder or white sugar and ginger
powder & put the pears therein. seeth it a little & mess it forth.

Is this the recipe the original poster was asking about? If so, the recipe
does not call for "powder of galentyn", it says "powdo~ gyng~ ", with the
squiggles above the last letter in each word.

If it had said powder of galentyn, I would read it as "the same spices used
to make sauce galentyne". In FOC there are 5 recipes for something in
galentyne:

-Laumpreys in galyntyne, xx. vi. vi, uses vinegar, wine, bread crusts, ginger
powder, galyngale powder, canel (cinnamon) powder, clove powder, currants,
blood, lamprey fat.
-Laumprons in galyntyne xx.vi.vii. uses broth, ginger powder & salt.

-Fyletts in galyntyne c.xvii, uses pepper, saunders, parsley, hyssop, red
wine or white grece (probably a misspelling of Greek) & raisins.

-sowps of galyntyne xx.vi.ix uses galyngale powder,sugar & salt.

-galyntyne xx.vi.xviii. uses galyngale powder, canel  (cinnamon) powder,
ginger, salt, and vinegar.

Is this of any help?

I'm having some email problems, so if anyone wrote to me within the past 2
months & never received a reply, please write again because I've probably
lost your email.

Regards,
Cindy