[Sca-cooks] Internet Fridge is Coming

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 26 15:14:40 PDT 2001

Alright, I don't know how we missed this
yesterday, but here is the article of the
week. It was in yesterday's New York Times,
Circuits section, D5.

They have designed the perfect appliance..
a fridge connected to the net.. or so they
think....

So we can do SCA-Cooks while standing in
front of the fridge???

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Downloading a Pie Recipe at the Refrigerator Door

By ROY FURCHGOTT

If you have ever wished you could make a videophone
call from your refrigerator, your day has   come.

In March, LG Electronics plans to release a Web-wired
 refrigerator, the first in its line of Internet
home appliances. A side-by-side model with 26 cubic
 feet of storage space, the refrigerator connects
to the Internet through a link to your computer.
A 15.1-inch touch screen on the right-hand door
allows you to surf between gulps of milk, watch television,
 download recipes or listen to music while
cooking.

The door even has a built-in camera so that you can hold
 a videophone conference (or perhaps
broadcast your own cooking show). The refrigerator
 won't automatically tell you when you are low on
strawberry jam, although a built-in program will help
 you keep a shopping list.

Future products from LG Electronics include a microwave
 with a modem and an L.C.D. panel that
could provide cooking instructions, for example, by
consulting a poultry processor's Web site to find
out how to cook its brand of Cornish hen and then
following the instructions automatically. The
company also has plans for an Internet washing machine
 that would be able to contact clothing
manufacturers for custom washing instructions.

The Internet refrigerator is not yet priced for the
 American market, but LG Electronics does sell a
model in South Korea and some other Asian countries
for the equivalent of about $10,000. The
microwave is also sold there, for about $1,000.