[Sca-cooks] asian food

Ginny Claphan mizginny at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 07:24:11 PST 2001

Mercy/Artemesia wrote:

>>Food stuffs: My interestes are in asian cusine, but I JUST started
researching period asian cusine, so I'm not at all sure if current asian
food (i.e. Japanese, Chinese, etc) have changed all that much since period
times (I can't tell at this point...doesn't really look like it).  I need to
save up for the "Feast for the Kahn" I suppose.  Kiri has been helping me
too between us talking about pottery and other stuff.  ::waving to my friend
in the East::

Soup for the Qan will be useful if you are interested in the Mongolian/Central
Asian aspects of Oriental cookery, specificaly 14th c. era (Yuan Dynasty).

Regionalization of food was prevalent during the various dynasties with the
development of trade and urbanization. Modern-era Chinese cookery has
crystallized into specific regions - Hunan, Szechuan, Cantonese etc. each with
their regional influences from neighboring countries.
With modern era Chinese food (at least Chinese-American food) you're bound to
run into issues with increased usage of imported ingredients from the West-
notably items like tomatoes, peanuts, baby corn, cornstarch, etc.

>>I'd like to research two things, actually...dim sum (i.e. I was told it was
period, but would really like to confirm this with documentation) and what a
period japanese feast would be (including all serving plates, cook wear and
the like).

Dim Sum? It would depend on the ingredients. Records from the Sung dynasty era
(10-13th. c) note the presence of a variety of restaurants noodle shops, street
vendors, etc. in the Southern Capital of Hangzhou/Hangchow who sold noodles,
steamed buns, dumplings, and pastries. Again, you would have to consider the
particular item of dim sum.

I too have an apprentice named Artemesia (Baroness Artemesia Grimaldi - Barony
of Fenix Middle kingdom). Small world, eh?

Cheers!
M. Gwyneth Banfhidhleir
mizginny at yahoo.com