[Sca-cooks] polenta

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Oct 31 07:54:12 PST 2001

Arte commented:
>  > 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
>  > supermarket?
>
> If I knew what polenta was, I just might!  Yeah!

As I think others have explained, a corn meal mush, although
originally made from wheat, not maize. For some more comments
on this, check this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
polenta-msg       (22K) 10/ 1/01    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

Since, I did mention it's morphing from wheat into a maize dish,
perhaps this file might also be of interest:
maize-msg         (33K)  8/ 2/01    Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in
the
                                       Americas and its introduction to
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/maize-msg.html