[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #693 - 22 msgs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 1 09:59:01 PDT 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> So then it would be much like a bagna cauda without the anchovies??
>
> Kiri
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>

>>Probably inspired by the garlic cloves one includes in various Savoyard preserved meats, such as confit d'oie ou de canard. These are preserved by cooking slowly in fat, like duck or goose fat, since that's what's being cooked. The fat replaces the water and the flavors concentrate wonderfully. For garlic confit, you would peel cloves and cook slowly in either duck or goose fat, but most commonly olive oil. The cloves become soft and very richly flavored, but much milder for their long cooking. They're just barely braised in enough oil to cover, not fried or browned. You can then spread them on bread, or sieve them into sauces, etc.

Yes, somewhat like a bagna cauda, except this cooks more slowly than any
bagna cauda I've ever seen, and it isn't really meant to be eaten hot
(although you could, I suppose). This is intended more as a
preparation/preserve for keeping, rather than for immediate consumption.
My feeling is that if it's for immediate consumption, why not include
the anchovy ;  )  ?

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy