[Sca-cooks] grains of paradise was cubebs

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 15:51:50 PDT 2001

It sounds likely.  I've seen them labelled "paradise seeds"
and "paradise grains" in home brew shops.  A couple of
winters ago they were the latest fad/discovery in brewing
circles here in the Northwest (or so I was told by the guy
in the shop).  They're about 1/16 inch or 2 mm. in diameter
and slightly boxy in shape (i.e. not perfectly spherical),
and a very dark reddish brown that would look black in some
kinds of light.

Dana/Ximena

--- Jennifer Thompson <JenniferT at ptb.com> wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask..... we were in the homebrew
> store recently and saw
> in the little pre-packaged plastic bags of spices, small
> black seeds? pods?
> larger than poppy seeds, smaller than peppercorns (I
> know, that's a pretty
> big window) labeled "Paradise".
>
> Could this be grains of paradise?   If so, there's
> another source for those
> who don't have ethnic grocery stores nearby.

=====
She takes us wanderers under her wing; sings us songs 'til the coming of the spring
Lifts our souls far into the night; fills our dreams with endless delight
Angel of Darkness, Angel of Mercy, take away the sorrow, take away the pain.
     (Angel of Bells -- J. Lapidus)