[Sca-cooks] What class would you teach/take?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Oct 3 10:02:51 PDT 2001

How the various religious groups that have dietary restrictions
adapt their cuisine to new countries/areas?
I'm thinking Jews, for example, who adapted kosher cooking
to Spain, and Italy, and Germany, and England, and Poland,
and France: a set of common principles applied to different
foodstuffs. Muslims, too, of course: what you could cook with
in a religious manner in Arabia differed quite a bit from southern
Spain.
I'd think that teaching something that had a common basis but
quite differing outcomes might be an interesting way of doing things.

Oh! Cooking for religious holidays! Meatless Friday cooking; Lenten
cooking; festival day cooking. Lent's not the same food as Christmas;
Friday evening Sabbath food is prepared differently than the
rest of the week; Ramadan requires (I think) fasting during the days -
so what was served after dark?

Alban