[Sca-cooks] parkin and lambs in apples

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 3 20:15:58 PDT 2001

Hrolf Douglasson wrote:

> The lambs in apple is a family recipie from about 1650 when the family
> arrived on New Farm.
> and they brought it with them. the books I got it from are unfortunately
> LONG GONE. They were family farmhouse books dating back 300 ++ years.
> vara

This sounds, actually, like a wassailing beverage known as lambswool, except made with cider instead of ale. (If I remember the description accurately.) You have a warm, sweetened and spiced, mulled sort of cider (again, ale is probably more common, unless you're in some place like Kent), with the pulp from apples roasted in the embers until they puff up and just barely burst open. The foam from the ale or cider mixes with the shreds of puffy baked apple pulp and forms the fleecy-looking lambs (or lambs wool, as the case may be.)

There's a recipe (probably several, in fact,) for this beverage in Bickerdyke's Curiosities of Ale and Beer; as I've been saying all too often, I need to get a decent night's sleep and will try to post the recipe (and the parkin variants if anyone needs them) in the AM or sometime tomorrow, anyway.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com