[Sca-cooks] What classes would you take/teach?

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Thu Oct 4 07:12:46 PDT 2001

You wrote:
<<Regarding your class, did you include
a handout on food chemistry or science
of cooking books?
Just wondering.
Johnnae llyn Lewis Johnna Holloway

Nope.  I never took those kinda of classes.

I learned by experimentation, and that's what I teach.
If you're going to substitute, you need to try out the
substitutions in advance, to see how it will affect your
recipe.

That's also why its a tasting class.  Everyone experiences
taste just a little differently.  So, if they're going to substitute
it has to be based on what they tasted/know. Otherwise,
we end up with ginger substituted measure for measure for
galangale, which, does somewhat taste like ginger, but isn't
nearly as strong.

Kateryn de Develyn