[Sca-cooks] What class would you teach/take?

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Thu Oct 4 07:38:35 PDT 2001

> >Funny, I thought the authenticists believed that nobody ever drank fruit
> >juice unfermented.
> I'm not that much of an authenticist. I'm also thinking that when you're
> in the middle of harvest, you'll drink anything, even if it were unfermented
> - and, hey, with all those apples around, why not?

I tend to straddle the fence on this one.  I figure, if you're thirsty
and it's there, you'd probably drink it.  You might find you like it and
drink it again.  But, since there is no documentation *that I know of*
for serving it (except medicinally,) it probably wasn't considered
publically acceptable, so you wouldn't serve it at a feast.

Unpreserved, unrefrigerated fruit juices have a fairly short life span,
and randomly fermented and soured fruit juice can be pretty darned
nasty.  In the autumn you might be able to keep fresh pressed apple
cider for a few days.  But, in the heat of summer, you aren't going to
keep juice fresh for more than a few hours.  People probably figured out
that juices soured quickly and were therefore tricky.

-Magdalena