Mooses [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Oct 4 20:19:38 PDT 2001

> "Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> > OFC- big brother Geoffery is in town visiting (the two boys made serious
> > inroads on the garage- I was amazed to see floorspace) and Monday night
> > I made my Enchiladas Verdes con Pollo- and was carefull witht he peppers
> > because Geoff is a heat wimp. But he said they were wonderful- right on
> > the edge heat wise. I though they were pretty good too. And I discovered
> > that alot of the heat went out when we reheated teh left overs for lunch
> > the next day. I had never noticed that before. Does reheating do
> > something to the oils int he peppers?

Sue Clemenger replied:

> Oooh.....spoon tease....recipe, please?
> --Maire

Oh dear... it's not quite a recipe thing, you know? 'Lainie cooks by the
seat of her pants when not cooking from a text... hmmm... Ok- I'll take
a stab at it...

Enchiladas Verdes con Pollo

1 package large tortillas

1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.25 lbs, I think),
cut into pieces about the size of your little finger

1 can (large- 20oz ?) green enchilada sauce (if you can only find the
small ones get two)

some olive oil for sautéing

3 or 4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped

1 good-sized onion

a bunch or peppers- your mix- I used two sweet bell pepper, one yellow
and one red, two anaheims, and four green jalapenos. I like to use red
ones but they didn't have any. I also like serranos and the little
yellow wax peppers. Cut open, pullout seeds and veining, and chop into
little bits- 1 cm square or so for sweet peppers, smaller for hots.

2 roma tomatoes, chopped

4-6 tomatillos, depending on how big they are, chopped

a couple of limes

a 16 oz tub of sour cream- depending on how much you like sour cream!

grated cheese- I cheated and used the packaged grated 'Mexican Blend'
from the store.

To put together- saute onions and garlic until the onions are limp and
looking clear, garlic will be golden. Dump them into a large heat-proof
bowl and set aside. DO NOT CLEAN PAN. In same pan, saute the peppers
till they're done (if I have to tell you, why are you on the list? ;-).
Dump them in the bowl with the onions. DO NOT CLEAN PAN. In same pan,
saute the tomatoes, etc. Dump them into the peppers and onions, etc. DO
NOT CLEAN PAN. Take out one of the limes. Palm down, whack it on eh
counter, several times, rotating it each time (breaks up the juice
inside). Now saute the chicken until it is done through and nice and
golden brown on the outside, squirting lime juice over it as it cooks.
It should have a nice glaze of stuff from all the stuff that has
preceded it in the pan! When done, dump it in the bowl. Stir the  bowl
up so the ingredients are well mixed.

Now, pullout a large flat pan- pizza pan works well if it's not the
perforated kind. Dump the enchilada sauce in it. Dip each tortilla in
turn in the sauce, both sides, smooshing the sauce around to cover.
Then, in a 9x13 or lasagna-sized pan, lay the middle of the tortilla in
the pan, scoop filling into it (1 1/2, 2 c?) then fold in the sides and
roll it over so the seam ends up on the underside. Repeat until your
filling is gone. Take any leftover sauce and pour it down the middle of
the enchiladas. Generously sprinkle the grated cheese over it. (You can
add sliced olives if you wish). Bake at around 350 for 30-40 min or so-
until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortillas are browning.

Serve with a wide spatula to get them out of the pan (the first is
always the hardest), and put sour cream and lime wedges on the table.
And don't forget a wedge of lime in your cerveza!

Thus endeth my best approximation of the recipe. Play with it. Make it
your own!

'Lainie