[Sca-cooks] RE: Acorns OOP

Jennifer Whitbeck jbwhitbeck at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 08:06:31 PDT 2001

--- johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
wrote:

> apparently mentions the Duchess asking for
> acorns to be sent to her. Maybe there are
> Spanish recipes for acorns that can be found.

Modernly, Spain has an interesting (for lack of a
better adjective, or more accurate memory) liqueur
made from acorns (licor de bellota). IIRC this is more
common from the southwestern region of Extremadura.
Consequentially, the extremaduros claim they have the
best ham in Spain (doesn't everyone?); the "black
hoof" ham (jamon de pata negra), which they say is so
yummy due to its diet of acorns.

My neighbor reports a bumper crop of acorns from her
black (scarlet) oak this year, which I hope to harvest
soon. If I have any successful, or period,
experiments, I'll post results.

Cheers, everyone!!

Jennifer