[Sca-cooks] Canadian Friends

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Oct 5 20:56:08 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> Would Pilgrims and Puritans be period since they were in the 1600's.

Close but no cigar. SCA period ends at 1600. Puritans existed before
then in England, but they weren't pilgrims until they left, and that was
after 1600...

> Misha
> Could be a good Puritan lawyer. All you have to say over and over is "You're
> going to hell!!!!"

A little too simplistic. The Puritans had some remarkable beliefs. And
they are not nearly so one-dimensional as Tv etc would have them appear.
A challenge for you Misha- go to the library, and do some reading. See
if you can find 4 or 5 things about the Puritans that surprise you and
are different from what you'd expect. And see if you can draw a line of
thought that helps you understand their role in the formation of our
nation. Report back. I for one would be interested in seeing what you
think is important about the Puritans in 17th c. America.

'Lainie
frustrated history teacher strikes again...