[Sca-cooks] Camp Stove Advice?

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Sat Oct 6 11:25:32 PDT 2001

I assume you're talking about the basic two-burner campstove with a lid
that closes to make a box about 12"x24"x3"?

Fundamentally, all campstoves work the same way and there isn't that
much of a difference.  The only big difference is that Coleman has more
styles, including some big fancy ones, and they have lots of accessories
that are designed to fit their stoves.  Some styles also have a built-in
igniter, which is convenient.  Coleman also has easily available
replacement parts, so if you misplace or crush the hose or valve you can
replace it quickly.  They have outlet stores at many of the major outlet
malls.  You didn't say where you're located, but if you're in the
Pennsylvania area there's one in Lancaster.

I have a Hillary stove and a Coleman oven.  The oven is just a box that
sits on top of the stove over a burner, so it works; But, you can tell
that it would fit better on a Coleman stove.  I have to disconnect one
of the side thingies that hold the stove lid upright so the oven will
sit squarely.  Basically, I really like Coleman and may be pawning off
my two-year old Hilary soon...

Caveat: Since you said you want to use it for coffee in the winter, do
not use *any* campstove indoors, unless the space is extremely well
ventilated.  Like, if you put it in front of an open window.

-Magdalena