[Sca-cooks] Camp Stove Advice?

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Sat Oct 6 12:37:31 PDT 2001

I disagree.  Stoves that are designed for outdoor use are not as
leak-proof as things that are approved for indoor use.  If you're
keeping the flame fairly low, I've found that the flame goes out easily
and I often don't notice until I smell propane.  If you're keeping the
flame high, I've found that ie often draws propane through the valve too
quickly, causing the valve structure and attached hose to freeze.  This
Is Dangerous.  It could easily crack.  Camp stoves are simply *not*
designed for safe indoor use.  This does not mean that all propane
powered items, such as blowtorches, are dangerous.  The "tent heater"
that went up in flames last year was designed for indoor use, but it was
used incorrectly.  I'm not a reactionary "Oh my god, don't ever use
propane in the house" person.  But, there is a reason why some things
are rated for indoor use and others aren't.

-Magdalena