[Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Oct 6 17:46:10 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/6/01 5:52:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
> writes:
>
> > I understand that they did have colored dyes, but that they were 'sad'
> >  colors- 'sad' dyes are a little muddier and deeper toned, IIRC from the
> >  addition of iron to the dyebath. I'm sure one of the dying folks on the
> >  list can elaborate. However, this is why their clothes were referred to
> >  as 'sad'- not because they were depressed.
>
> So when and why did they switch to the typical black and white or was that
> the *thing* for the Pilgrims. I'm thinking maybe because of the lack of dye
> in the New World but then the Native Americans had berries to dye their
> clothes. Trying to avert temptation?

Misha, Misha... (pat on head)

I don't think the black and white was so much 'typical' as it was
_stereotypical_. It's easier for schoolchildren to draw that way. And
there were more sects that arrived in the New World in the early years
of the 17th c (OOP, remember) than just the Puritans.

Honestly, I can't think of many contemporary depictions of them- IIRC
the one oil painting showing some of them in a line walking to church
with guns drawn against the natives was done later, something like 50
years later. If you are curious about Puritans in England it might be
worth while to see if you can find diaries or household accounts- they
are more likely to tell you what they wore, ate., etc.

Lack of dye in the New World? Don't think so. Many (if not most) of the
natural dyes we use now are New World, beginning with indigo...

As to temptation- I dunno- how come vampires wear black and white? Think
about the erotic links there... ;-]

'Lainie
who still has a crush on Frank Langella's Dracula...