[Sca-cooks] The Puritans

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 6 18:32:07 PDT 2001

Misha said:
> > > A challenge for you Misha- go to the library, and do some reading. See
> >  >  if you can find 4 or 5 things about the Puritans that surprise you and
> >  >  are different from what you'd expect. And see if you can draw a line of
> >  >  thought that helps you understand their role in the formation of our
> >  >  nation. Report back. I for one would be interested in seeing what you
> >  >  think is important about the Puritans in 17th c. America.
> >  >
> >  >  'Lainie
> >  >  frustrated history teacher strikes again...
>
> And all that I wrote in either came from y head or my english book. But my
> book says they formed arou 1560. Therefore, could you have a Puritan persona
> because it is in the limits of the SCA?

Yes, you could. In fact if you could keep from using elements in your
persona that were strictly 17th century, this would be wonderful. It
would certainly be much better than most late 16th century personas
I've seen, where they don't seem to take into account the division
between Protestant and Catholic.

However, it could be limiting if you do it in an accurate way. I doubt
the Puritans would be partying or dancing as many wish to do at SCA
events. Did they make alcohol or drink it?

Misha, I was rather impressed with the synopsis of the Puritans you
gave in your previous message. Well done. I doubt you can be a Puritan
and a pirate too, though.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net